Frederick and Cora Salmen's 71 Acre Farm Grafton Nebraska, 1915
History of Nebraska Railroads
Today the BNSF Railroad (Burlington Northern Santa Fe)
goes through Sutton, and Grafton, and runs 8.5 miles south of
Salmen/Boren Properties 1921 - 1941
The Blue Properties; a farmhouse and farm located at 1213 Road 4, McCool Junction,
and a farm and farmhouse located in Lushton were owned by John William Boren.
The Red Property in Sutton/Grafton, near Road 3 and Road C was the 71-acre farm and farmhouse owned by Frederick Salmen.
The Blue and Red Property was owned by J.W. Boren, Howard's father, but was farmed by Howard and Irma (Salmen) Boren until 1936, three years after Howard's death on November 27, 1933 at the age of 34.
The Red Properties in York was where Irma (Salmen) Boren relocated in 1936.
Over the years from 1936 to 1941, Irma rented two large properties (not at the same time) and ran them as boarding residences for student attending York College.
The Burlington and Missouri River Railroad
The Burlington and Missouri River Railroad was incorporated in Burlington, Iowa in 1852. It commenced operations on January 1, 1856 with only a few miles of track. In 1857 it connected to Ottumwa, followed by Murray in 1868. It finally reached the Missouri River in November 1859. It used wood-burning locomotives and wooden passenger cars.
After the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) finished a bridge crossing the Mississippi River at Burlington, it connected to the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad. By 1868 the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad operated 13 locomotives and 429 cars, mostly freight, with net earnings of $299,850 in 1867. After the interest on loans, this meant a total net profit of $6,749.
A sub-branch of the railroad was founded in Nebraska in 1869, with rails first entering the state in 1870 via Plattsmouth. That summer, the railroad reached Lincoln, the recently designated state capital. It later continued to lay rails westward and eventually joining with the Union Pacific Railroad on September 3, 1872 at Kearney; this had the effect of linking traffic from southern Nebraska to the rest of the continent. That same year it began advertising "millions of acres of cheap land" as an incentive to prospective settlers to Iowa and Nebraska.
The Burlington and Missouri River Railroad was acquired by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in 1872. At the time, it had begun laying tracks to Denver, Colorado; this line was finished by the CB&Q ten years later.
After being acquired by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad served as its subsidiary, operating several lines in the Black Hills, including those acquired when Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad took over the Black Hills and Fort Pierre Railroad in 1901.
Compiled by Bob Vincent, April 22, 2021
For The History of Sutton, Nebraska